The wood used to make this heritage pen came from St. John's Catholic Church in Bangor, Maine. The beautiful wood is from pew rails removed during a renovation in 1990. The cornerstone for St. John's Church, which was named for St. John the Evangelist, was laid on December 8, 1854, and the church was dedicated in 1856. Placed beneath the cornerstone was a bottle containing a piece of tarred, feathered and bloodstained cassock, which belonged to Rev. John Bapst, S.J., St. John's pastor.
An Irish architect, Patrick Charles Keely, designed the church. Austrian artist Franz Xavier Pernlochner created the stained glass windows, which were installed in 1888. In 1973 St. John’s Catholic Church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Unfortunately only a few pew rails were saved from the 1990 renovation; thus a limited number of pens will be handcrafted. Maine Heritage Products is pleased to donate two dollars from the sale of this pen for the continued restoration of this beautiful church.